Friday 20 January 2017

Life goes on...



From the very moment I became a mum (it still seems weird saying that) my life pretty much changed. How? pretty much completely. For me, the old Sarah stopped, she quit, she went on a very long holiday if you like. I changed as a person both physically (hello mum tum) but mentally as well. Im not sure HOW or even WHY, but something unexplainable shifted in me and I became the new Sarah, the mum one. At first I didn't think this was a bad thing,this was normal something had to change right? however 18 months on, Im starting to wonder...

Y'see when I look around at other mothers (cue my daily comparisons) I see these amazing women still doing what they've always been doing but just with a baby in tow: going shopping, coffee and lunch dates, going for nights out (without baby) meeting friends, doing their same jobs, looking the same - nothing really changes for them. I look at myself and realise there isn't much of me thats left since Liv came into the world.

Dont get me wrong I still look like me, I mean I didn't have a face transplant or something, but no longer did I go out clothes shopping, I didn't like taking Liv to a coffee shop, I turned down lunch dates and holy hell, I cant even begin to tell you the last time me and my husband had childcare so we could 'go out'. I haven't been drunk since Liv, I haven't even been tipsy, I very rarely wear heels and I dont think I've properly got dressed up (in clothes other than my lounge wear) my every single thought in life is Liv. Literally, every damn thought. I cant drink too much because I have Liv the next day, I cant wear those heels out because Liv might want to go traipsing around, I cant meet you in Costa or out for lunch because Liv might not like it and she might cause a scene. Everything in life revolves around this little human for me. At night I make sure Im quiet so we won't wake her. I go food shopping based on her likes and dislikes. I gave up my job (one that I hadn't been in long but that I was starting to enjoy) to be with her every day and I've seen many a friend come and go because Liv is 100% my entire being.
Just writing the above makes me sad, and embarrassed. How could I have become one of those women who has let themselves drift into obscurity, fall into this foggy space where no-one quite knows where she is anymore. Surely this makes me a sad human being to let myself go like this?

Just the other day I had a 'discussion' with my husband and he said this "life goes on Sarah, just because we have a child doesn't mean life stops" and it hit me like a ton of bricks. This is exactly what I have done and become. Liv is 18 months now and getting more and more independent and even now I struggle to think of there being a time when she might not need me 24 hours a day anymore. For these 18 months my life, my soul and entire being has been about her and I'm not sorry, but by Jove I dont half feel that maybe I need a little bit of me back?

Before you all think Im slightly cray cray let me state there is no WAY I regret doing what I did and still do - Liv is an amazing child who has given me a life I never thought I deserved to have but I do miss me a little. I mean I dont miss the girl who tends to get drunk on 2 glasses of wine but hey, I wouldn't mind a little of the old me back.

So how do I do it? I have not one fig of a clue, but Im calling this #operationoldme and will let you know how on earth I find my way BACK to where I used to be.

Did anyone else experience the same? any hints and tips to help allow for life to go on?

4 comments:

  1. I just wrote an essay of a comment for then it got deleted...

    Will do it again via the laptop shortly. I've been there and it sucks.

    Follow me on IG @mamatomaks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty much exactly the same. I've definitely, finally got my "image" back as for a long time, I felt I had to dress more "mum appropriate" but I've been out for drinks once since having Brontë and that was for a wedding reception 5 minutes down the road. I'm actually going to a spa with a couple of mum friends for my birthday, my second day away from Brontë ever and I still feel a little sad and sick and guilty for leaving her, it's ridiculous. You're not alone, my life revolves around baby and I find it very hard to imagine having any kind of fun without her. Just do what makes you happy, part of me longs to go out and drink, and I could if I wanted to but I just don't have a big enough urge just yet, it'll come when you're ready. Just because other people carry on and still do "adult" things, doesn't mean that it's wrong that you still choose to stay at home. It won't be forever, you'll slowly start feeling yourself again, even if it's slightly adjusted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I totally feel you on this. "How could I have let myself become one of those women who has let themselves drift into obscurity, fall into his foggy space where no one quite knows where she is anymore."

    Sadly my reasons for this are less happy than yours - a complicated pregnancy which ended in losing our perfect baby in a late miscarriage. This happened at the end of last summer and honestly? I have no idea where "old me" has gone. I spent 3 months drowning in grief, but I have to try and move forward somehow and I just don't know where to start. My old life drained away, to be replaced by a constant round of hospital appointments and mind-crushing anxiety, to the point where I have no personality left at all, I can't think of anything to talk to anyone about any more so I just avoid people as much as possible! This makes me sad, but on the other hand I worry that I'm kind of getting used to it now, and I don't know how/if I will change back?!

    Anyway sorry for the waffle; just wanted to say thanks for a really thought-provoking post. I'll follow your #operationoldme with interest as I try to embark on a similar project myself...!

    ReplyDelete